Who defined small by the way? It all boils down to how efficient and functional you make your home feel. I’ve lived in some small spaces I had to teach myself what really works. My last apartment as a single lady was the smallest ever (i lived there for good 4years) but it worked perfectly for me.
Here are 5 simple ways to help you live in your small apartment without messing with your renter’s limitations:
- Paint: Whoever told you that an “all-white color” palette will make an apartment look larger. He lied! This is a common misconception of small space design and i will put simply “there are no color rules for small spaces” Do your thing, if you want your room to feel light and airy (try a cool color) or warm and cozy (veer toward richer and warmer) or maybe you’re craving a little drama (go over board with bold) but make sure it’s personal and appeals to you.
Read more… Tips for Picking Paint Colors
- Small Scale Furniture: Large bulky furniture limits movement in a small apartment and who says you must use a sofa? Think lean, slim and petite upholstered items like a small settee, love seat and compliment with ottoman or poufs which can also double as chairs. Chairs with exposed legs also gives the impression of space and allows for the airiest look.
- Mirror Mirror: A large mirror placed in the right direction (preferably across a window) helps create an illusion of space in your small apartment and when hanging the mirror be mindful of what it will reflect (Mirrors are your friend as long as you like what is staring back at you! LOL). In the picture below, not only can you see the wall frames, armchair and stationary storage, the window reflection gives an impression of an extra window in the apartment. Ok, let’s finish it “Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?
Read more… 5 Smart Ways to use Mirror in Small Spaces
- Organization and Storage: The key to living in a small space is to declutter with creative storage and organization solution. Only keep or buy what you actually use or need and give everything an assigned spot in your home. It’s so much easier living in a small space when you know where things are and when items are out of sight and much much easier to clean when you live with less! Try out some furniture with built-ins for perfect storage solutions (using a credenza as against a console table to tuck in a whole lot of items and boost storage options or beds with built-in drawers underneath to store your linen and bedding’s) Who is loving this room below like i do? This is definitely an inspiration for the next room i am decorating in my home.
Read more…Storage & Organization for a Small House
- Lighten Up: The effect of lighting in a small space cannot be overemphasized. Whether it is natural light or decorative fixtures, it does make a room look brighter and enhances that cozy effect you need when you want to snuggle (picture that!). Decorative and accent colors in the home can also lighten up your small space. Bright colored pillows, flooring, window blinds or curtains and decorative pieces can do the magic