The feedback received when I published the article “10 Things You Should Do In Your 30s Without Regret” was amazingly massive. The article was also featured on The Pink Network. I was contacted by a lot of people to take each nugget and broaden it for the sake of clarity, and after much deliberation, I’ve decided to take up the challenge.
I have been working on this first nugget for the past one month with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. My intention for these ten (10) series is that it will energize and empower people towards a meaningful, productive lives and ultimately bring them close to the Father’s heart.
Today, let’s look at “Discovering Life Purpose”
In the most simplest of definitions, your life purpose is the reason you were created by God and what you are placed on earth to do. This is your road map to success. Discovering your life purpose provides you with an insight, direction and discernment to make right choices towards your happiness instead of aimlessly wasting time on wrong life choices. Your life purpose is centered around your gifts, passions, resources, values, experiences and your relationship with God at the center of them all.
Joseph was a man who discovered his life purpose from a tender age through a dream. Although he had so much to contend with in life; being his father’s favourite which bred jealousy in his brothers and they sold him out to slavery, went to jail as a result of his refusing to succumb to the sin of adultery. Yet, none of these prevented him from fulfilling God’s purpose for his life.
If your situation is nothing like that of Joseph and God has not yet given you any definite vision or revelation concerning your life purpose. Then, the following steps can act as a guide in finding your path to destiny, your purpose:
At this point, you should have the urge or burning desire to know and understand your purpose in life. Go ahead, commit this desire to God in prayer and meditation until it is revealed to you. Ask God through the Holy Spirit to speak to you specifically in regards to His purpose for your life. Quieten every distraction, pray earnestly, search through the scriptures, books or publications for inspiration and tune in to the voice of the Holy Spirit. This is where having a personal relationship with God comes to play.
Call to me and I will answer you. I will tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own – Jeremiah 33:3 (MSG)
As you meditate, you need to be practicable. This is the time to look inward and identify your:
- Gifts: These are natural abilities or talents one possesses without a formal training or schooling. You could have natural talents for care-giving, public speaking, acting, singing, drawing, teaching, etc And while others stutter at these, it is not unusual to discover that you have more than one of these gifts or talents.
- Passions: This is a strong feeling of enthusiasm or a compelling desire towards something. A passion for music or passion for fashion. Your passion toward these endeavors could then lead you to some form of training or mentoring. As a child, I was introverted and still am. I’d rather nurse my feelings, emotions, worries, fears, or thoughts on a piece of paper than voice them out and that was how I discovered my passion for writing. Creating this blog is an extra effort on my part towards expressing those thoughts and meditations of my hearts and perfecting my writing skills.
- Values: What are those deep-rooted principles or beliefs you hold dear to your heart? They could be Integrity, Honesty, Justice, etc. If you have strong values around these mutually related principles, it could be that you are called to pursue causes that bothers on fairness, equity or rule of law. Values of Holiness or Purity will see you working on causes that pertains to godly or righteous living and salvation of souls. And if we look deeper, we will discover that the deepest desires of our hearts matches with God’s intention for us.
- Experiences: What has life taught you? For God will use your life experiences as a pointer to what He intends for you to achieve. I have lived with people who are unmotivated and lack either the direction or push to achieve meaningful things in life. I have seen how such attitude towards life affected me directly and indirectly and my unrelenting desire to see their situations turn around for good. Life has taught me to see the potentials that lie in every human, which can only be activated through nurturing.
- Relationships: What kind of relationship do you have with yourself, with God and with people around you? Who do you perceive yourself to be and how will others describe you? Yes, our purpose comes before any relationship but without relationship, you cannot completely fulfill your purpose in life, express your true potentials and contribute to the world. Here. you will need to sieve through who you think you are through the eyes of another.
- Resources: What do you have available at your disposal that can help facilitate or accomplish these causes? Who are the People in your life that will, without doubt key into your vision, What are the Materials or information available to you and your Assets which could mean your Academic Qualification or Financial Resources. Look around you for these veritable tools that can be freely offered in pursuing your purpose.
This starts with the practice of detaching yourselves from your body, mind and intellect, and impartially estimating the motives and intentions that lie behind your pursuit or discovery. What are your intents or what is prompting you to embark on this journey? Are you trying to discover your life purpose for the single purpose of seeking fame or fulfillment?
During the journey of discovering my life purpose, which took days, months and even years of actively seeking guidance and a conscious effort towards analyzing my personal characteristics and eradicating every emotional and character defects while looking at the big picture. It became clear to me that my purpose does revolve around making a positive impact into the lives of others. I realised that I find greater joy in understanding the deepest desires of others, in helping them discover their strengths and follow through their efforts in achieving each feat.
This journey took me from the job role of a Product Development Officer in a Retail Business to a Human Resources role in my organisation. I wanted to connect with people, to serve and also to be part of their success stories and through this journey, my purpose was birthed.
To energize and empower people to live meaningful, productive lives and ultimately bring them close to the Father’s heart.
It boils down to surrendering self or getting rid of all emotional sentiments towards relationships, family background, overcoming every environmental or generational limitations, letting go of all preconceived thoughts and judgment. It is important at this point, to find out any character defects or weaknesses (such as pride, hypocrisy, lust, anger, etc) that will inhibit you from accomplishing your purpose through daily introspection and self-analysis, and then a conscious effort to eradicate them. Only then are you perfectly safe to see the big picture, the vision of where God is taking you to.
You are given a purpose to fulfil in life for the benefits of others, not for you. Your sufficiency comes from the amount of IMPACT you deposit in others – click to Tweet
In discovering all that God has blessed you with and the vision set ahead of you, it is of great importance to learn how to align your gifts, passion, values, experiences, relationships and resources to the purpose God has placed before you in order to be fruitful on earth.
Every desirable and beneficial gift comes out of heaven. The gifts are rivers of light cascading down from the Father of Light – James 1:17 (MSG)
When God revealed His purpose for my life, it became clear to me that whatever venture or assignment I commit to (be it my foundation, my family, my business, my career, as well as writing on this blog), it’s objective must be aligned with my purpose.
For every new opportunity that comes along, regardless of how much money I could acquire, I would ask myself how it aligns with my purpose and if the venture is not in line with my purpose or where I envisioned to be, then I would not pursue it.
It is important to mention, that one could be called for more than one purpose and each experience God allows us to go through in life is in preparation for the purpose ahead.
And when you finally identify what your purpose(s) is/are, it is more fulfilling to pursue careers or business opportunities, volunteering or social projects that are in line with your purpose. Purpose is the end point, but each of these assignments or projects leads you to the fulfilment of that purpose. What that means is that, assignments may differ or change along the line, but purpose remains constant.
The next action is to guard against the emotionally dangerous trap of comparison that leads to distraction or derailment of purpose. Comparison is a thief of fulfillment and when you constantly measure your successes in line with another, you run the risk of drifting into self doubt.
I pledge guilty here and I know you will rationally agree with me that we sometimes need accurate evaluation of ourselves and our actions. Yes, comparison can be an effective tool in motivation and growth but success doesn’t come by pursuing another’s dream. Focus and live YOUR dream.
To help you focus and keep at your dream, you will need friends who believes in your vision, support groups and mentors; people whom you have identified as role models in your niche or assignment that God has called you to fulfill. It could be a particular person or persons whom you frequently and closely take instructions, guidance, inspiration, correction, chastisements, etc. I joined She Leads Africa for that single purpose and I think you should check them out and several other support and networking organizations. Above all, allow your vision and your commitment to it, be your greatest inspiration.
And then God answered: “Write this. Write what you see. Write it out in big block letters so that it can be read on the run. This vision-message is a witness pointing to what’s coming. It aches for the coming—it can hardly wait! And it doesn’t lie. If it seems slow in coming, wait. It’s on its way. It will come right on time – Habakkuk 2:2-3 (MSG)
Finally, note that you will be stretched by your vision and your faith will be tested. Joseph’s vision and value was tempted in the hands of Potipha’s wife which landed him in jail. Just like me, yours could be an uproar in your place of work.
At a point in my career, I was constantly challenged in the place I thought was my platform to fulfilling my purpose in life, yes it was my dream job as a Human Resources Officer. I was beginning to question God if the place was actually the right career path for me. In seeking God’s face, first about the challenges I was constantly facing at work and questioning Him for clarity and at the same time giving my best shots at the job. An opportunity came for me to leave that position to a completely different role as a Business Development Manager. It became a case of choosing between what I felt was what God called me to do and responding to a strategic management decision by the then Deputy Managing Director of my organisation, to move to the new role. Again, I sought God’s face, alongside counsels from mentors and I was convinced to take the new role. I cried, I felt cheated but I relied on God’s providence and took the new position.
See, when you are in the place of your purpose or calling, no matter the turmoil, the attack or challenges, you do not just excel rather, you become an excellent spirit and a reference point for good as long as your integrity is intact and you do not allow those challenges to belittle you. Six months to moving to the new role, I received a commendation letter from Management and a Promotion down the line for a job well done. Even though, in this new place which I thought was outside of God’s purpose for me, God yet again, revealed his purpose for bringing me to this place of discovery. My experience as a Business Development Manager, (through the understanding of the rudiments and dynamics of business), schooled and propelled me into birthing my own businesses as well as the foundation.
In the midst of these turmoil, the weakest part of you will cry out “I cannot do this, I am not equipped to do this, I do not have enough money or resources, etc.” but your greatest mistake will be to heed to these doubtful feelings. Listen to your intuition, that deep knowing, that quiet voice that says “Yes, I can do this”.
It’s all connected. your Gifts, your Circumstances, your Imperfections, your Journey, your Destiny, your Purpose. It’s molding YOU, embrace it.
Life is but a fleeting moment. Make it count, discover and fulfil your purpose. A purposeLESS life is a meaningLESS life – Click to Tweet
If you found this article interesting and informative, Join me on the next discourse, Innovate or Die
Have you discovered your life purpose? Feel free to share your experiences in the journey to discovering your life purpose and allow your story to encourage another.
Image credit: via TheMindfulWord
Crown Musings | Become The Best Version of YOU